Friday, February 12, 2010

I'd rather have my hands full than empty...

What a week it has been! I have been more than busy, but am loving life right now! At the beginning of last week I did a furniture makeover for the first time all by myself! I am pretty proud of myself. I needed more storage for my kitchen and have been wanting a hutch. What's a girl to do when she has no extra money for it? I got creative using my old childhood dresser and a $10 hutch top I got from Craigslist.

First I painted the dresser. Here is the before:


I used a light green paint that we had from other projects. Then I sanded and glazed it with Valspar Mocha Glaze. I got the idea from one of my favorite bloggers, Traci at Beneath My Heart.

Here is how it turned out!


The hutch top we got was badly in need of some help...but I knew how pretty it could be:
Using a drill for the first time:)

Ta Daaa!

Once I get hardware for it and poly it, then I can accessorize. I can't wait, especially since Easter is coming up!



On another note, we have been attending our adoption classes for the last two weeks now. We have gotten a mix of responses from family and friends on our decision to adopt. We already have three biological children, so many of them think we are "crazy". But we are doing what God is calling us to do. We may be young, but we have the room for more, and we love kids. Every child deserves a family. It breaks my heart to hear the stories that these babies go through. We have applied for a single child or sibling group, and we know for sure that we want a girl in the mix. Our daughter is anxious for a sister, and talks about it often. The decision to adopt is a long story. When I met my husband, he said he didn't want any children. When I got pregnant at 18 with our first son, it was a shock to say the least. It was a huge lesson in life. After our daughter was born two years later, we thought we were done. Needless to say, that changed and now we have our second son, who in my eyes is a miracle baby. We were for sure done, since I had a hysterectomy when our youngest was only eight months old. We had discussed adoption before, but my husband was adopted and was always very against the idea. He also never really knew God. At the beginning of this year, after many prayers from me, God changed his heart. For some reason, I looked on the Texas foster care website where they list the children waiting for adoption. There was a little girl on the site that for some reason tugged at our hearts, and we ended up going to an adoption information meeting. Deciding that "it just wasn't the right time", we threw away the information packet that we received and tried to put the idea on the back burner. No matter how I tried, the thought kept creeping back. We prayed about it for months, and it became clear that we were being called to adopt, whether it was in our comfort zone or not. 

Now here we are, almost a year after that first meeting. We are more than excited, and the classes we have been attending have made us understand and examine the way we parent even our biological children. It definitely has been a growing experience, and we have enjoyed getting out alone together. :) You have to find alone time when you can, right?! We no longer feel that we have to defend our feelings and decision. WE are our own family now, and we know that we are doing what we are supposed to. It's a wild ride, but that's what life is all about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment